Hartford Food System (HFS) is seeking a part-time Farm Manager with practical, working knowledge of sustainable agriculture and urban food systems to oversee urban agricultural activities for Hartford Food System and Grow Hartford. The Farm Manager will report to the Executive Director, who will direct him or her in the development of the program, which is in a state of transition during 2018. The Farm Manager will have the opportunity to apply his or her knowledge of sustainable farming practices in planning, program development, and marketing the program.
● Develop seasonal farm plan within established budgets to meet marketing goals for weekly farmers markets and the Hartford Mobile Market.
● Identify, help secure and maintain Grow Hartford sites to keep them presentable, including mowing and keeping vegetable beds weeded, irrigated, and frequently harvested.
● Recruit, manage, and motivate volunteers, and youth to perform farming tasks. Train as needed.
● Maintain good soil health of sites by using crop rotation, cover crops, and responsible use of organic pesticides and fertilizers.
● Plan and oversee harvesting for weekly markets. Track harvest yields and weekly sales.
● Work closely with community partners to advance Grow Hartford’s mission and assist other organizations with urban farming projects.
● Collaborate with the youth director to connect the year-round Grow Hartford Youth Program with agricultural activities, concepts, and practices. Work with Hartford Food System staff to advance the organizational mission.
● Research potential revenue sources and write reports for existing grants.
● Promote Grow Hartford’s activities through social media and additional platforms.
● Act as the farm’s representative for engaging Hartford residents and stakeholders in community events.
● A minimum of 3 years’ agricultural experience
● A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a supervisory role is desired
● Ability to interact confidently with diverse groups and perspectives
● Ability to problem solve in a fast paced environment
● Strong verbal and written communication skills
● Passionate about Hartford, urban food systems, and sustainable agriculture
● Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
● Proficient in Microsoft Excel and social media
● Valid driver’s license
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and market rates. This is a part-time, year-round position that we are hoping to fill no later than mid-February 2018 . Please e-mail a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com. Hartford Food System is a nonprofit organization focused on building a healthy food system in Hartford since 1978. To learn more, visit our website at hartfordfood.org or on Facebook. Hartford Food System is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org